The project aims to develop combinatory products (biomaterials and drugs) for specific “medical needs”:
– therapy for the acute phase of traumatic and vascular lesions of the brain and spinal cord;
– therapy for neonatal cerebral palsy;
– therapy for chronic ulcers.
Product novelty will aim to cross biological barriers, such as the blood-brain and skin barriers, to guarantee the appropriate drug concentration and delivery timing, and improvement of endogenous self-repair by the use of biomaterials and non-invasive electromagnetic stimulation
The project will include 4 activities:
- Activity 1: Manufacture. Design and manufacturing of the new biomaterial+drug products (CNR-ISTEC, UNIMORE-DSV, CIRI-SDV).
- Activity 2: In vitro efficacy test. Evaluation of new product in cellular systems for the achievement of the biological objectives (CIRI-SDV, IRET, MISTER s.c.r.l).
- Activity 3: in vivo efficacy test (late preclinical test, TRL5). Evaluation of new product in animal disease models (IRET and CIRI-SDV).
- Activity 4 – industrial scalability. (i) In vitro GLP safety tests; (ii) manufacturing tests in clean room (IRET and MISTER s.c.r.l.)